Saturday 14 June 2014

Product review: Bella Dome Popcorn Maker

A couple of months ago, I was in the market for a new popcorn popper. I did some research online and when price was actually a concern for me, I decided on the Sunbeam hot air popper. Anyway that was total garbage and I brought it back.




When I got home with my new popcorn maker, I was really excited to try it. So what did I do? I went to you tube to figure out how to use it, like I always do. So, I couldn't find the same brand, but I did find one that was very similar. The basic principle was the same. The one thing that was really frustrating about the new popcorn maker, was that it was not clear in any way shape or form whether or not you had to use oil, or nothing. I read and reread the instruction manual. It didn't state one way or the other. So, I went to their facebook page. I asked them what I should do. It took them several days to reply to me. They told me that I could use any kind of oil that I wanted to, or I can just pour the popcorn on the heating plate with nothing at all. I find that if you don't use any oil at all, the popcorn kernels tend to burn a little bit before they pop but if you use oil, I use sunflower oil, then the kernels pop properly, and don't scorch.

The popcorn tastes great. Don't use a lot of oil, you won't need it. I like to use some Kernels popcorn seasoning that I buy at Wal-Mart. All in all, it's a good buy, but it takes up SO much room, and the popcorn needs oil, which is not health conscious.


PROS:

  • Popcorn tastes great, very close to movie style, in my opinion.
  • Pops properly, not many if any kernels are left unpopped if you follow directions, and wait for the popping to slow to no pops in a 4 second time span. If you leave it longer, they will scorch.

  • You can make a LOT of popcorn at once.

  • You can use the dome lid as the serving bowl, if you want to. ( I don't, and the reason for it, will be a CON)


CONS:

  • The lid that you are supposed to be able to use for a bowl, as vents in it. Which is nice, but, if you want to put anything on the popcorn, instead of it pooling at the bottom of the bowl, it would run through the vents, and gather at the little extra lid that they include to put there, and then you can't swoosh your popcorn around in it. Yes, that is the scientific term. I'm very articulate. LOL

  • You almost HAVE to use oil if you want your popcorn to taste good, and not burn, which adds unwanted calories.

  • It is HUGE, so it takes up a lot of counter space, or cupboard space. It's also hard to maneuver into and out of any spot you put it in.

  • The lid doesn't fasten to the bottom part when the popcorn is popping, and if you have curious kids, that could make for a big mess, and burned fingers!

TIPS:

  • Use sunflower oil for the best tasting popcorn.
  • Ensure that you don't preheat the plate. I can't remember what the manual says, but never preheat the plate. When I did this a couple times, the popcorn kernels burn before they start to pop. Putting the oil on the plate, then the corn, THEN turning it on, allows the kernels to all heat at an even pace, without scorching. Trust me, I have used this popper often enough to know. LOL.
  • Don't put in too many kernels, or you will have a lot of unpopped ones left over, and of course you will run out of room in the bowl/dome.
  • Use some Kernels brand popcorn seasoning, or just sea salt for great tasting popcorn
  • Don't tell your doggies that you're making popcorn. They try to steal it! Heehee


2 comments:

  1. I am searching this kinds of review. It will help for choosing the best popcorn maker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for doing this post!!! Just picked one up second hand and burnt about a cup of popcorn before reading this. Last batch was perfect!

    ReplyDelete