Tuesday 23 September 2014

Easy Tutorial: DIY Oat Flour

I was looking around on the internet a lot, and I saw a few recipes that called for oat flour.

I decided that I didn't need to buy it. I already had oats in the house, surely oat flour was just a matter of a few steps. Especially so, since I have an awesome Ninja Professional Blender. (I wish I had the even more powerful one - but this one is great!)

Anyway, I poured about 2 cups of regular oats into the regular 72ounce jug of the blender. I pulsed it a few times, and then said what the heck, and put it to the maximum speed, which is three. This blender is really really loud, so you will want to do this at a decent time of the afternoon, or you will likely annoy neighbours. After about 3 minutes, I checked on the oats, and it was a little gritty still, but getting to a very nice consistency. I poured the flour from the big jug, into the single serve container, as that has a different blade attachment, and then let it grind for about 2 more minutes or so. The result was a very nice fine flour, sort of like whole wheat flour is.

I used the resulting 1 1/2 cups of Oat flour in the recipe that I will post soon. The 2 cups of oats yields about 1 1/2cups of flour because of some sort of sciency reason that I can't explain. I'm not good at explaining things like that, but I'm sure it's science, and air and what not. LOL.

Anyway, I made some awesome whole wheat & oat tortillas from this. YAY!

If you don't have an awesome blender, like a Ninja, or a Vitamix, and cannot afford one, you can also use a mortar and pestle. I would recommend getting the oats as small as you can in the blender or food processor that you have, even a spice grinder, and then using the mortart and pestle to get things even finer, if needed. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment